This term, for your source logs, you’ll be finding commencement speeches by well-known people. Choose one or two of the speeches below to start with, and then begin looking for some on your own. When you write your posts, focus on the following questions:
- Begin with an MLA citation of the address, and a hyperlink.
- What is the main point of the address?
- What key stories or examples are most essential to making that point? What makes those stories/examples especially important?
- At the time the speech was given, what would the speaker have been known for? How might that have shaped expectations of the speech? Did the speaker fulfill those expectations, or defy them?
- Give us a couple of important quotes from the speech, and tell us why they’re important.
- Do you have any criticisms of the speech?
Here are a few of the speeches. When the name is linked, the link sends you to a transcript.
And a few more, transcripts only: